With the advancement in technology, the need for eco-friendly alternatives is of utmost priority in most countries in today’s times. More and more industries are moving towards renewable sources of energy. Governments across the world are trying to implement eco-friendly options to cut down the carbon print and create a better living space for the citizens of the country. One such initiative is installing solar LED street light.
Solar power is gaining popularity across the world as it turning out to be a dependable source for street lighting needs. It is not dependent on the conventional sources of energy, less reliant on the national grid and is the best way to conserve the energy. Countries that receive plenty of sunshine can cash on this renewable source of energy by using it to light up streets, parks and other public spaces.
What are the components of solar street light?
- A) Solar panel: this is the crucial part of this system as this component converts the solar energy into electricity used by the lamps. The two common types of solar panels are mono-crystalline and polycrystalline. The conversion rate is higher in the polycrystalline panels when compared with the mono-crystalline ones. These panels are available in 40W, 60W, 80W, 100W and 120W in which 100W solar street light is the popular one.
- B) Lighting fixture: LED is primarily used as the lighting source in the current generation of solar street light because they provide high luminosity when compared with other components. The energy consumption if 50% lower than an HPS fixture. Also, there is no warm-up time in LEDs. Therefore, the motion detectors work better in the LEDs.
- C) Rechargeable battery: the batteries store the electricity generated by the solar panels during the day time and provide energy to the fixture during the night time. Therefore, the life cycle of the battery is crucial because low-quality batteries mean low backup days of the light. Two types of batteries used are acid and lithium-ion batteries. Lithium-ion is more popular than their acid counterparts.
- D) Pole: these are important to ensure the uniform distribution of light. According to the new designs, the poles have built-in PV panels and other electronics. one needs to consider the wind factor as well while installing them. Some of the accessories used are battery box and foundation cage.
Benefits of using solar street lights
- The solar-powered street light independent of the utility grid as they are dependent on the heat energy provided by the sun. Therefore, operation costs are less.
- They also have lower chances of getting overheated.
- The solar wires do not have external wires. Therefore, the risk of accidents reduced considerably.
- The parts are easy to transport. Therefore, they are ideal for remote places and solve their electrical problems.
These are some of the many benefits of solar street lights. Hence, choose your solar street light supplier well and contribute towards a better future for the unborn generations.